The Best Places to Buy Australian Dollars in New Zealand
At The Currency Shop, we keep things nice and simple. Because every company has different exchange rates and fees, finding the best deal can be a minefield. That’s where we step in. We bring together all your options, highlight the fees and rates per provider, and show you the best possible deals.
Get your Australian Dollars without getting ripped off
This is usually the cheapest way to buy currency, but you need some time. You even pick it up at the airport before you head off.
- Buy in bulk. During promotions, you can often get a better exchange rate when you order over $2,000
- Don't pay by card. There is card processing fee you can avoid by using Bill Payment
- There is a maximum amount of $5,000 per transaction
This is the best way to get currency quickly. You will find them in major shopping centres and towns.
- The exchange rates are better in your city. So it can be worth going there if you're exchanging more than $2,000
- Always ask for a better rate. We've found you can often get a better deal just by asking, particularly if you're buying more than $100
- Call ahead. Sometimes they may not have enough stock in-store.
Most banks do exchange currency. The issue is that they often have high fees, and don't offer very good rates. It's always better to compare rates elsewhere before deciding, but as a standard rule it's best to avoid your bank. Especially for a popular currency like the Australian Dollar.
Yes, you can buy currency at the airport. But that doesn't mean you should. While it's convenient, it's also very expensive.
- Ordering it online and picking it up at the airport is much cheaper than buying it in person
- If you've run out of time before your trip, it's definitely better to buy currency when you get overseas, or use your debit card instead
Why should I choose The Currency Shop?
Many people are not aware of the true cost of transferring money. But it is pretty standard to lose up to 8% of your money each time you transfer money internationally, depending on your method. We think this is far too much. That’s why we help you find the best way to transfer your money and avoid those costly hidden fees and charges. And it works. On average, we save our customers $4,000 each year.
How does it work?
It’s pretty simple. Whether you need travel money or would like to transfer money overseas we just need a little info to point you in the right direction. First, you tell us what you are looking for then we compare hundreds of providers to find the best deal for your current situation. We’ll highlight all the available options and recommend the best one for you. You can then decide which option you prefer, and click through to their site to secure the deal.
Is it safe?
Yes. The Currency Shop holds an AFSL (462269) and is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service. We closely vet our providers and only partner with the largest, safest and most trusted money transfer companies in the world. That just makes sense.
What does it cost?
The Currency Shop does not charge you. Instead, we receive a referral fee from the banks and money transfer companies that we are partnered with. This does not affect the price you pay.
Your currency knowledge centre
4 Expert Australian Dollar Forecasts for 2019 Compared
Forecasts for the Australian Dollar from bank experts are revised throughout the year. This article looks at the different outlooks and is updated regularly.
How to Buy Currency: Online Versus In-Store
Buying travel money online is one way to reduce stress and potentially save time – but are there any disadvantages you need to be aware of?
The Ultimate Guide to Currency Exchange in Australia
There is no single way to exchange currency that is always the cheapest. It really depends on what currency you are buying, how much and where you are.