Travelex Money Card Review
Learn about the Travelex Money Card in this review to help you decide whether this is the card for you.
The Travelex Money Card is a prepaid Mastercard® currency card, designed specially for your overseas travels. Travelex Money Card also replaces the pre-existing Multi-currency Cash Passport with enhanced features and benefits.
With the Travelex Money Card there is no need to carry around a lot of cash. You can load up to 10 currencies and benefit from contactless payment.
You can also download the Travelex Money App, which allows you to check your balance on the go, or reload more/different currency in seconds.
And what if you need some cash for all those smaller purchases? With the Travelex Money Card you can withdraw cash at no extra cost as there are no ATM charges overseas.
Another benefit is the 24/7 Global Assistance. This means you don’t have to worry about losing your card or the card being stolen. Travelex quickly and securely provides you with emergency cash and a free replacement card.
Pros and cons of using Travelex Money Card
- Smartphone app and Free Wifi.
Manage your account instantly with the Travelex Money app. Enjoy free WiFi at over 1 million Boingo Hotspots.
- $0 international ATM fees.
This is a huge benefit if you are travelling often and prefer to take out local cash from an ATM.
- Lock in exchange rates.
Set your exchange rates ahead of travel, so you don't have to worry about currency movements when you withdraw.
- Limited number of currencies.
New Zealand dollars only available for in-store deposits - unavailable for online loading or reloading.
- Local Operator ATM fees.
Travelex do not charge ATM fees, but local operators may charge or set limits. Check the ATM before using.
High cross-currency conversion fee of 4%. Extra initial loading, inactivity and closing fees. Plus 2.95% fee at New Zealand ATMs.
Benefits of the Travelex Money Card
- Chip and PIN
- 24/7 Global Travel Assistance
- Emergency card/cash available if stolen/lost
- Easy way to manage, spend and save on multiple currencies
- No bank account required
- Contactless payments
- No international ATM fee
- Lock in exchange rate by loading funds to foreign currencies and avoid fluctuations
Manage Your Money
- Reload and manage your funds easily online
- Redeem your unused funds easily on your return
Currencies and Countries
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- US dollars (USD)
- Euro (EUR)
- Great British pounds (GBP)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
- Thai baht (THB)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
|Greater of 1.0% initial load or $10.00||Free||1% reload amount|
Foreign Currency Conversion*
|4.00% of transaction value||$4.00 per month||$10.00|
|$5.00||Free||2.95% of amount withdrawn|
All prices are in NZD
*Foreign currency conversion is charged when you spend in a currency that is not loaded in the card
ATM Withdrawal Limit (24 hours)
In-store Transaction Limit (24 hours)
EFTPOS Transaction Limit (24 hours)
Minimum Load on Card
Maximum Load/Balance on Card
Maximum Bill Payment Reload (per day)
|$250 or currency equivalent||$75,000||$25,000|
All prices are in NZD
How Travelex Money Card Works
1. Order your card
- Order your Travelex Money Card online, over the phone or in your local Travelex store
- Make an initial load amount of NZD$250 minimum (up to A$75,000 maximum)
2. Pick up your card
- Pick up your card from any of the Travelex stores
- Register your card online to manage your account
- Load or reload onto your card online, over the phone or via the Travelex Money app