Travel Money NZ Review
The key to getting the best exchange rate is to order the currency online and pick it up in store. This is because the exchange rates online are much better than in store. It does take 2-4 business days so you can't do it if you need to buy currency at the last minute.
What this Travel Money NZ Review Covers:
We’re most interested in how safe Travel Money NZ is, how they work and when you should use them. In this article, we’ll explore:
- Pros and Cons.
- Travel Money NZ exchange rates.
- Is Travel Money NZ a good option to exchange currency?
- Does Travel Money NZ charge fees and commissions?
- 130+ stores to visit – open late and on weekends.
- Order online 24/7.
- Range of 60+ currencies.
- 1.8% card handling fee if you want to buy currency online using a card. Although, this can be avoided by paying through Bill Payment.
- 5 business day wait for online orders.
Travel Money NZ Exchange Rates
There is a few different things you should know about the exchange rates at Travel Money NZ.
The difference between online and in-store
The exchange rates that you see online are different to what you are offered in-store. As a general rule, the exchange rates online are going to be better than in person. This is because they don't have to pay for the costs of running a store.
Ironically, if you are in a store and you ask them to match their online rate, they might do it. This is particularly true if you are buying or selling more than $1000.
Each store offers a different exchange rate
The exchange rate you will get is not the same in every Travel Money NZ store. They all offer different exchange rates, depending on a lot of different things.
We've found that the most competitive exchange rates are offered in the stores located in the heart of the city. This could be because there is more competition nearby.
How to get a better exchange rate
Firstly, avoid their travel card. The exchange rates they offer for their travel card are much worse than cash. You can clearly see this on the calculator on their homepage.
Buying online is generally going to get you a better exchange rate than going in store. Just make sure you allow enough time. It can take 4-6 days to get the currency delivered to a store. Also make sure you pay using Bill Payment to avoid any additional card fees.
If you are heading in store but you've found a better exchange rate somewhere else, you can ask them to match it.
As mentioned above, the best exchange rates in store tend to be in the city locations.
The Currency Shop says:
- Travel Money NZ is exceptionally convenient due to their large national network of stores that are open late and on weekends.
- Their exchange rates for US dollars are consistently better than any bank.
- Their range of currencies is brilliant. They stock 60+ currencies.
- They do not charge a commission or fee however, using a credit card may incur more fees.
- Use our comparison table to compare foreign exchange rates, fees and services of other providers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Travel Money NZ fees and charges
Travel Money NZ does not charge a commission if you exchange currency either online or in-store. Card payments can incur additional surcharges as follows:
Debit or Credit Card: If you use a debit card online, they charge a 1.8% card handling fee. In store, there is no fee if you pay by debit card.
How safe and secure is Travel Money NZ and who owns them?
How do I buy currency online with Travel Money Oz?
To buy currency online, there are 2 steps:
- Ordering – entering the amount of currency you need, your pick up location and when you’d like to pick it up. You’ll also need to choose a payment method (either BPay, credit card or debit card).
- Your details – provide your contact and payment details.
How do I buy currency at a Travel Money Oz store?
To buy currency in-store, there are 2 steps:
- Tell them what currency you need and how much. They will provide an exchange rate and the total cost.
- Pay in cash or by card.
For purchases over $1000, you may need to provide identification.
Can I buy a travel card?
Travel Money Oz recently released the Currency Pass Travel Card. This allows you load currency onto the card, so that you don't have to carry large amounts of cash with you while you travel. We would suggest being careful with this product though. The rates are worse than if you are buying cash and there are many hidden fees associated with it that you need to aware of. You can find out more on the Travel Money Oz website.
Can I transfer money overseas with Travel Money Oz?
Yes, you can.
If you are sending less than $10,000 overseas, you will be directed through MoneyGram.
Related: Moneygram Reviewed.
If you are sending more than $10,000 overseas, you will be directed through TorFX.
Related: TorFX Reviewed.